Here are some tips to help you have a positive learning experience in this course.
It is very important that you have fundamental computer skills. The greatest barrier to online learning is often the participant's lack of confidence with computer technology. Before beginning an online class, you should be able to:
- Send and receive e-mail, including attachments
- Locate, save, and retrieve files on the computer
- Use the features of your Internet browser to explore the web
- Search the Internet with an Internet search engine, such as Google
- Use a word processing application (we recommend Microsoft Word®)
Time Management Skills
The online learning environment may not be as structured as the traditional classroom. The flexibility that online learning offers can be a drawback to those participants who do not structure their time well. The successful online learner is usually one who can perform the following tasks:
- Establish a daily or weekly study routine
- Keep up to date with assignments
- Create their own daily reminders for assignment due dates
- Find a place to study or access the computer without distraction
Course Specific Tips
- Log in to your course at least three times a week, the first time early in the week.
This will allow you the opportunity to check the Announcements Forum regularly for course updates, and to participate in any on-line discussion assignments.
- Submit your weekly assignments well before the deadline. This gives you the opportunity to revise your assignment, based on facilitator feedback, if need be.
- When you are participating in on-line discussions, post thoughtful comments. Always ask yourself, "How can I move this discussion and everyone's understanding forward with my response?"
- Be respectful of others. Remember - you don't have the benefit of non-verbal communication (body language, facial gestures, etc.) to help you communicate. Therefore, your comments can be easily misinterpreted. Read your comments through carefully before posting them.
- Support your peers and the course facilitator. If you know the answer to a question, please provide it.
Additional Resources for Online Learners
You may wish to explore the sites below for additional tips and guidelines for a successful online learning experience:
Continue to the Introduction of the Modules.