IPTS 1A, 1C, 1E, & 2H
In this module, we will examine second language acquisition and some of the factors that impact how children acquire a second language.
Module 2 Video Introduction
Readings & Resources
Video Session - Bilingualism
- How Long Does It Take?
- Myths and Misconceptions about Second Language Learning
- Two or More Languages in Early Childhood
- Instructional Strategies in Working with ELLs in the PreK Classroom
- Myths and Realities about Second Language Acquisition
Students evaluate some statements about second language acquisition and discuss with other students.
- Individual Differences in Second Language Acquisition
Students review case studies and identify what individual differences may be impacting the second language learning process.
- Word Sort: Second Language Acquisition
Students sort the word cards that are provided into categories. The directions for an open sort are included.
- Myths and Realities about Dual Language Learning Video
Fred Genesee speaks about Dual Language Learning at the 2008 Dual Language Learner’s Institute.
- The Linguistic Genius of babies
In this TED talk, Dr. Patricia Kuhl shares her findings about how babies learn languages by listening to the humans around them and "taking statistics" on the sounds they need to know.
- Importance of Home Language
This series of handouts is designed to provide staff and families with basic information about the benefits of being bilingual, the importance of maintaining home language, and the value of becoming fully bilingual.
- Challenging Common Myths About Young English Language Learners
Dr. Linda Espinosa reviews research from a variety of disciplines about dual language development and describes the impact of different educational approaches for children ages three to eight.
Continue to Module 3 - STEPS & STAGES OF SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION IPTS 1E, 1H, 2H, 3C
In this module, we'll discuss stages of second language acquisition and practice using the stages to inform instruction.