IPTS 1A, 1E, 8D
In this module, we will look at cultures, cultural orientations and specific concepts related to acculturation.
Module 1 Video Introduction
Readings and Resources
Video Session - Culture
- The Role of Culture
- Understanding and Negotiating Cultural Differences
- Cultural Competence in Professional Service Delivery
- Bargna Card Game
This is a card game designed to help participants experience culture shock.
- Brown Eyes & Blue Eyes Experiment Video--children
This is a short video clip from “ A Class Divided” about a public school teacher who divided her students into two groups for a lesson on discrimination.
- Brown Eyes & Blue Eyes Experiment Video-adults
This is a short video clip from 'A Class Divided' which replicates the lesson on discrimination with adults.
- Knowing the Community: Sharing Activity
In this exercise participants share information about themselves in order to develop a greater understanding and appreciation for the diversity within the group.
- Two Reports from the Latino Policy Forum
Two reports from the Latino Policy Forum provide current demographic information from Illiniois as well address issues related to workforce development and strategies for serving young Latinos.
- National Center for Cultural Competence
This website contains a variety of resources on building cultural competence. IRIS Center- Star Legacy Modules This internet based learning module explores the impact that cultural and linguistic diversity has in the classroom.
- New Voices/Nuevas Voces: Guide to Cultural & Linguistic Diversity in Early Childhood
This book is a guide for professional development around topics of cultural and linguistic diversity.
Continue to Module 2 - FOUNDATIONS OF SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION IPTS 1A, 1C, 1E, & 2H
In this module, we will examine second language acquisition and some of the factors that impact how children acquire a second language.